Friday, October 16, 2009

Khaled Hosseini and Doppler Dave

It's a bit of a random twosome, I realize, but I was happy to see them both yesterday.

"Doppler Dave" was a joy to interview. Friendly, personable, and a man who doesn't take himself too seriously. Look for him in our December issue of Amarillo Magazine.





Khaled Hosseini, author of The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, two books everyone should read, was an overwhelming inspiration in his talk yesterday at WTAMU. (Dr. Hosseini was the guest speaker at their Convocation. Afterwards, he sat down for a question-answer session with a captive audience.)
While I didn't attend the event to interview Dr. Hosseini, or even do a piece for the magazine, my mind was racing with interview questions. Had there been audience participation, I would've shot my arm in the air with the hope of being chosen... Alas, when it was over, they wisked Dr. Hosseini away and I could hardly refrain from saying, "But I just had one question!!"

Still, in the brief hour we spent together, me and a hundred of his closest Panhandle fans, I was captivated by every story he told about the Afghan people, their plight, and the inspirations behind his books. He spoke of the current political climate (here and abroad), what the Afghan villagers really think about our military presence in their country, and how he's used nearly all of his monies to rebuild a life for the country he so dearly loves.

Thank you, WT, for bringing him here, even if only for a night.
--Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment