Monday, August 24, 2009

The Best Day of the Year

I always loved the first day of school, when all of my supplies had that unused fresh scent, when pencils were still shiny and notebooks hadn't begun that slow wear-down along the edges. I'd go to sleep the night before with anticipation, eager to arrange the pencil box, books and folders neatly inside my assigned desk. I preferred to sit on the front row, but sometimes my last name bumped me to the back if the teacher had a preference for alphabetical order. Still, I always loved the first day - walking into a new classroom, configuring the sequence of the schedule, and hoping that I'd get to sit next to my friends.

That said, I just dropped off my Kindergartner, and instead of tears and saddness there was excitement and eagerness on both our parts. My son loves school, and while I realize that he likes the idea of school more than the school itself, I'll enjoy his eagerness for as long as I can. For all too soon I'll be dragging his limp body out of bed in an attempt to make it out the door in time.

Speaking of, take notice of the We Ask, You Answer question (at the bottom of the page) for September - What is your secret to getting out the door on time during the school year? If we pick your answer, you'll win a $100 gift card to any of our advertisers and it will be published on the Voices pages in the October issue.

Happy School Year, kids!

--Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment