Thursday, August 20, 2009

It took me three tries to open the car door.

Oh, the wind. Apparently it didn't want me coming to work today because I had to muscle the car door open and I finally squeezed myself out on the third try. I almost gave up and went home but I didn't think it would go over well if I called Michele to say, "I'm not coming in today because I couldn't get out of my car."

It's Upload Day, which means the September issue gets sent page by page to the printer, which means we stare at the computer screen all day scouring each page for errors, which means by the end of the day our eyes and brains are fried. The relief comes at the end when everything is sent and we can focus our energy on the next issue, which is already in the works. As usual, we look forward to getting feedback from readers, good or bad, just so we know that we're on the right track.

I've already teased a few stories, but here's one more for kicks. I interviewed local writer Linda Castillo this month, author of Sworn to Silence, who recently made the New York Times Best Seller list. In fact, she got the call from her agent in the middle of our interview about the book debuting at No. 35. It was fun to go back and transcribe that conversation, let me tell you. Personally and professionally, it was exciting to experience the moment a writer has when she goes from published to NYT Best Seller. Some can only dream. Congratulations, Linda!

Look for the September issue of Amarillo Magazine in the Sunday paper on August 30th.
--Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment