Monday, August 3, 2009

The Five Year Old Needed an iPod

I got a new iPod for my birthday this weekend, which was the most practical gift you can give a runner who needs music to move her feet. My old iPod has been dying a slow death and the last thing I wanted was for it to give out mid-race. (Could I even continue?) So after unwrapping my shiny pink 8G, I did what any mother would do - I gave the old 2G to my five year old.

I uploaded Jeremy's favorite sing-a-long tunes, like his Backyardigans CDs and the Heffalump Movie soundrack, as well as other kid-friendly music from my own collection (like Harry Connick, Jr., Frankie Valli and songs from Bon Jovi's country-inspired album). It's all about diversity, right?

You would've thought I'd given the child a hall pass to coolness. As soon as his iPod was charged and ready, Jeremy drained the battery dry. He pranced around the house dancing a jig here and there, singing the Transformers Theme song, and announcing occasionally, "This is my favorite song!"

The earbuds didn't come out until bedtime, and even then, he chose music over reading books. He empathized with his little brother who wasn't cool enough for an iPod, soothing him with words like, "When you grow up, you might get an iPod, too." Jackson, at only three, just sulked.

I'm reminded this morning of my own promotion to coolness when my sister and I finally received our first Walkmans for Christmas. It was a pivotal life change at that point because I was no longer a slave to my little pink tape player that ate my cassettes. I could take my music with me. And while the iPod is a gentler piece of equipment, and considerably more expensive, this is the life of a child now. I've resisted the lure of the Nintendo DS, and it'll be a long time before a cell phone is even considered, but for now, my son can have music.

And he can take it anywhere he wants.

--Jennie

2 comments:

  1. Indeed, your generosity is so very COOOOOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You shouldn't of given a 5 YEAR OLD an i-pod. Music over Books??? really?He should have at least a time limit on how much he uses it...

    ReplyDelete