Monday, November 2, 2009

A First Time Balloon Ride and Proof Week



Sometimes the perks of being part of the media are just too good to pass up. Michele and I woke up at the break of dawn Friday morning (i.e., 4 a.m.) to follow the hot air balloon crews out to the Palo Duro Canyon. While we knew the photographer would get a ride, it was up in the air (pun intended) as to whether or not I'd get a shot. At the last minute, a balloonist from Albuquerque invited me into his basket and I couldn't say no. Having never been in a hot air balloon, I was a little nervous but mostly thrilled.



The experience was worth the jitters. The landing? Um, not so much (but I won't dwell on crashing into the earth sideways). Instead, I'll focus on the incredible view of the plains and the peaceful quiet sounds of the sky, minus the occasional blow of the propane to keep us afloat. What a hobby, what a rush! Thank you, Pirates of the Canyon. I enjoyed the ride.


This week starts the proofing process for the December issue. It's festive and fun, and the cover story photos are not to be missed. This was our sixth issue of Amarillo Magazine, and it's safe to say that we've settled into a nice routine after ironing out a few kinks. There are still changes we'd like to make, so reader input is much appreciated. As we start working on 2010 issues, we hope to cover the topics you're most interested in and, hopefully, show you something new about your city.

--Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment