Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A lesson from Mike Huckabee

I had the privilege of interviewing Gov. Huckabee last Thursday on the subject of his latest book, A Simple Christmas. He was kind, generous with his time, and entirely passionate about the message - that Christmas isn't about what you get from Santa or how many holiday parties you get to attend. Rather, as he said it to me, "It's about the Who, not the What."

By Who, he means our families and friends, that a holiday isn't much of anything if it's not shared with the people we love. As Thanksgiving approaches and I'm busily writing out my dinner menu (with ingredients lists and things to remember and don't forget the meat thermometer!), I'm reminded that I have a tendency to push people aside in order to accomplish my holiday tasks. While that one-track-mind behavior isn't intentionally careless, it's probably the quickest way to rush through the holidays and miss out on would-be memories. (I undoubtedly wake up on every New Year's Day saying, "Where in the world did Christmas go?")

Per Gov. Huckabee's advice, I will try to keep the Who in mind this season and let the Whats come together as they can.

If you'd like to meet the former presidential candidate, he'll be at the Hastings on Georgia on Saturday, November 28th, for a book signing.

And lastly, a heartfelt thank you goes to all our Veterans and those still serving.
--Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment