Friday, November 6, 2009

A Reminder about Veteran's Day

Now that Halloween is over, it's easy to get swept into Thanksgiving and even Christmas (have you been shopping recently? They waste no time!). Before we start planning that Thanksgiving meal or making out our holiday gift list, take a moment to acknowledge a brief holiday that deserves some recognition.

In honor of Veteran's Day, we've posted a exclusive story on our website called, "Painting the Town Red" by local writer Phyliss Miranda. She tells the story of finding an old letter written by her uncle in 1944 regarding his discharge from the Marines during World War II. It brings home the story that our Veterans - past and present - represent true heroism, bravery and honor.

With that, enjoy the Veteran's Day Parade on Polk St. tomorrow and give your warm regards and appreciation to the men and women who served this country.

--Jennie

1 comment:

  1. I had been searching for my family for over 50 years of being separated and thanks to an article found my 1st cousin I had been searching for. The article was Painting The Town Red by Phyliss Miranda. Vick Johnson was my father in which he wrote the letter to our Aunt after losing his leg in Saipan.
    I am so happy to be reunited with Phyliss and my Uncle Durward of Dumas.

    ReplyDelete